For this Discussion, imagine the following scenario:
You are part of a team at the organization where you are currently employed (or at an organization with which you are familiar). This team is made up of members of the different departments at the organization. The executive director has tasked each member of the team to independently assess the following two questions:
- What theory of leadership most closely aligns with our current practice within our organization, and do you think it is most appropriate, or would another serve us better?
- What leadership theory would you recommend that might be more effective, and why?
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the leadership theories and frameworks presented in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Then, think about your current organization (or one with which you are familiar) in light of the leadership theories/frameworks you have examined in this course so far. In particular, consider the leadership of that organization and whether it seems to align with a particular leadership framework/theory. If it does not (or if you think the organization could use a change in approach), consider which theory/framework might be the best fit for that organization.
Post an evaluation of the leadership approach of your selected organization, to include the following:
- Assess the leadership theory/framework that you believe aligns with the organization in question. Or, if your organization does not seem to follow a particular approach (or you feel that changes are needed), assess what would be the most appropriate theory/framework for your organization based on what you now understand about leadership theory.
- As part of your assessment, paraphrase the central idea of the leadership theory/framework you have selected.
- Provide a rationale to support your selection of the leadership theory/framework for the organization, including relevant, appropriate examples and details (without identifying the organization or any individuals), as well as specific lessons that can be learned from the theory based on your observations and experiences.
Expert Solution Preview
In assessing the leadership approach of my selected organization, I have evaluated the current leadership theory/framework that aligns with the organization and provided a rationale for my selection. Based on my observations and experiences, I have drawn upon relevant examples and details to support my analysis. Without identifying the organization or any individuals, I have outlined the central idea of the leadership theory/framework and conveyed the lessons that can be learned from it.
Answer to Question 1:
The leadership theory that most closely aligns with our current practice within our organization is the transformational leadership theory. This theory emphasizes the leader’s ability to inspire and motivate their followers to achieve their full potential and surpass their own expectations. It revolves around the concept that leaders can bring about positive change in individuals and organizations through their vision, charisma, intellectual stimulation, and personalized consideration.
In our organization, the current leadership employs transformational leadership by regularly communicating a vision for the organization’s future and inspiring employees to work towards it. The leaders demonstrate charisma and enthusiasm, making employees feel valued and motivated to contribute their best efforts. They also encourage creativity and innovation, challenging employees’ assumptions and fostering intellectual stimulation. Furthermore, leaders in our organization provide individualized support and coaching to their team members, recognizing their unique strengths and development needs.
The transformational leadership theory is most appropriate for our organization as it encourages employee engagement, creativity, and an overall positive work environment. By inspiring individuals to strive for personal growth and align their goals with the organization’s objectives, this approach has proven effective in fostering higher levels of employee satisfaction and performance.
Answer to Question 2:
While the current leadership approach in our organization aligns well with the transformational leadership theory, I recommend adopting a servant leadership theory for a more effective leadership style. Servant leadership centers around the idea that leaders should prioritize the needs of their followers and facilitate their personal and professional development. Rather than focusing solely on achieving organizational goals, servant leaders emphasize the well-being and growth of their team members.
Implementing servant leadership within our organization would further enhance the leadership’s ability to cultivate a supportive and empowering culture. By putting the needs of employees first, leaders would create an environment where individuals feel valued, heard, and appreciated. This approach would facilitate the development of strong relationships, trust, and collaboration.
Servant leadership would also prioritize the growth and development of employees, providing them with opportunities for training, mentoring, and career advancement. By investing in their development, leaders can build a skilled and motivated workforce, resulting in higher levels of job satisfaction and retention.
Additionally, adopting servant leadership would enable leaders to foster a culture of empathy and compassion, where individuals are encouraged to support each other both personally and professionally. This would contribute to a positive work environment, promoting mutual respect, and enhancing overall team productivity.
In conclusion, while the current leadership approach in our organization aligns with the transformational leadership theory, I believe that embracing a servant leadership theory would be more effective. By placing the needs of employees at the forefront and prioritizing their development, this approach would lead to a more supportive and engaging work environment while fostering stronger relationships and collaboration among team members.