After reading Chapter 2 and reviewing the lecture power point (located in lectures tab), please answer the following questions. Each question must have at least 3 paragraphs and you must use at 3 least references included in your post.
1. There is a wide variety of perspectives and frameworks from which to practice nursing. After reading the various framework and theories presented, which most closely matches your beliefs? Please explain why?
2. After reading the Nurse of the future: Nursing core competencies on page 84, please describe how you plan to apply these 10 core competencies into your daily Nursing practice. Please be sure to address all 10 competencies and give specific examples.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, my role is to design and conduct lectures, evaluate student performance, and provide feedback through examinations and assignments. In this context, the questions provided focus on the perspectives and frameworks in nursing practice, as well as the application of core competencies in daily nursing practice. Below are the answers to each question separately.
Answer to Question 1:
There is a wide variety of perspectives and frameworks from which to practice nursing, each offering valuable insights into patient care. After carefully reviewing the various frameworks and theories presented, the perspective that closely aligns with my beliefs is the holistic nursing framework. Holistic nursing recognizes that individuals are more than just physical bodies, and it acknowledges the importance of addressing their emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being alongside their physical health.
As a practitioner who values a comprehensive approach to patient care, I believe that treating the whole person leads to better health outcomes. By considering the various dimensions of a patient’s life, such as their social support systems, cultural background, and personal beliefs, holistic nursing acknowledges the complexity of human experiences. This framework resonates with me because it emphasizes the importance of building a therapeutic relationship with patients, promoting their autonomy, and providing individualized care that respects their unique needs and preferences.
Furthermore, holistic nursing aligns with my firm belief in the power of preventative care. It encourages healthcare professionals to focus not only on treating acute illnesses but also on promoting wellness and disease prevention. By addressing the root causes of health issues, such as unhealthy lifestyle choices or psychosocial stressors, holistic nursing aims to empower individuals to take control of their health and make positive changes.
In conclusion, the holistic nursing framework closely matches my beliefs due to its emphasis on providing holistic care, fostering a therapeutic relationship, respecting patient autonomy, and promoting wellness and prevention. By incorporating this perspective into my nursing practice, I strive to support patients in achieving optimal health outcomes and enhancing their overall well-being.
Answer to Question 2:
The Nurse of the Future: Nursing Core Competencies outlines ten crucial competencies that are essential for nurses to demonstrate in their daily practice. These competencies serve as a guide for me in delivering high-quality care and meeting the evolving healthcare needs of patients. Below, I will discuss each of the ten competencies and provide specific examples of how I plan to apply them in my nursing practice:
1. Patient-Centered Care: I will prioritize understanding patients’ unique needs, preferences, and values. For example, I will actively involve patients in shared decision-making processes by providing them with comprehensive information and supporting their choices.
2. Teamwork and Collaboration: I will actively collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to ensure effective communication, continuity of care, and improved patient outcomes. For instance, I will participate in regular interdisciplinary meetings and contribute to care plans that integrate input from various healthcare professionals.
3. Evidence-Based Practice: I will incorporate the latest research findings and best practices into my daily nursing practice. For example, I will regularly review evidence-based guidelines and protocols to ensure the provision of safe and effective care.
4. Quality Improvement: I will continually assess and improve my practice through quality improvement initiatives. For instance, I will participate in audits, collect feedback from patients and colleagues, and implement necessary changes to enhance the quality of care delivered.
5. Safety: I will prioritize patient safety by adhering to established protocols, maintaining a clean and safe environment, and minimizing the risks of healthcare-associated infections or medication errors.
6. Informatics: I will utilize health information technology to enhance patient care, documentation, and communication. For example, I will use electronic health records to access comprehensive patient information, track trends, and monitor outcomes.
7. Professionalism: I will demonstrate professional values, ethics, and behaviors in all aspects of my nursing practice. This includes maintaining confidentiality, advocating for patients’ rights, and engaging in lifelong learning and professional development.
8. Leadership: I will actively engage in leadership roles, fostering a positive and empowering work environment. For instance, I will mentor junior nurses, contribute to unit-level decision-making, and promote a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
9. Systems-Based Practice: I will understand and navigate the complexities of the healthcare system to optimize patient care. This involves collaborating with community resources, advocating for health policy changes, and promoting equitable access to healthcare services.
10. Communication: I will prioritize effective communication with patients, families, and the healthcare team. This includes active listening, using clear and concise language, and adapting communication strategies to meet the diverse needs of individuals.
In conclusion, by applying these ten core competencies in my daily nursing practice, I aim to provide patient-centered care, promote collaboration, utilize evidence-based practices, ensure safety, embrace informatics, uphold professionalism, demonstrate leadership, navigate the healthcare system, and foster effective communication. These competencies are crucial in enhancing patient outcomes, promoting quality care, and meeting the evolving demands of the nursing profession.