Title VII is a provision of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that prohibits discrimination in virtually every employment circumstance on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, or national origin. In general, Title VII applies to employers with 15 or more employees. The purpose of Title VII’s protections is to “level the playing field” by forcing employers to consider only objective, job-related criteria in making employment decisions. The above classes of individuals are considered “protected” under Title VII because of the history of unequal treatment that has been identified in each class.
You need to present an overview of employment discrimination to your manager and new hires. How would you explain the laws in your own words? Create a PowerPoint presentation (minimum of 15 slides) to explain discrimination. In doing so, you must include the following:
- Title VII Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Protected classes
- 3 examples of protected classes
- Disparate impact
- Disparate treatment
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Submitting your assignment in APA format means, at a minimum, you will need the following:
- Title slide: Remember the running head. The title should be in all capitals.
- Length: 15 slides minimum
- Body slides: This begins on the slide following the title slide and must be double-spaced (be careful not to triple- or quadruple-space between paragraphs). The typeface should be 12-pt. Times Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics, except as required for APA-level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your presentation for this assignment is 15 slides. In-body academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged.
- Reference slide: References that align with your in-body academic sources are listed on the final slide of your presentation. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hanging indent, italics, and uppercase and lowercase usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the Reference slide is not a bibliography but a further listing of the abbreviated in-body citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-body citation.